For many people, no picnic is complete without at least one version of a five bean salad. It’s a light appetizer or side dish that won’t fill you up before the main course. You can whip it up in 20 minutes including the dressing!
Some ideas for additions to this recipe include using chow mein noodles or crispy onions as a topper. You may want to keep these on the side so people can add them. So doing keeps them from getting mushy.
Make this recipe 24 hours ahead of serving. Letting it chill in the refrigerator improves the flavor.
Addicting Five Bean Salad
- 1 can cannelii beans
- 1 can green beans
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 1/2 sweet onion (minced)
- 1/2 seedless cucumber (cubed)
- green onion (garnish)
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons celery seed
- 2 tablespoon mustard seed
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Drain and rinse the red kidney beans.
- Drain all liquid from the other cans of beans.
- Place everything but the green onion into a large bowl and mix.
- Pour the vinegar and sugar into the bowl.
- Stir until the sugar is evenly distributed.
- Add the remaining seasonings, stirring again.
- Place in the refrigerator for 24 hours, stirring every so often.
- Serve with a sprinkling of green onion on top.