The prevalence of sweet tea throughout much of the American South may come as a surprise to folks visiting from out of town. It is an amazing beverage.
How strong and how sweet you like your sweet tea is a matter of personal preference, although it is generally agreed that real Southern sweet tea is quite sweet. The addition of Firefly Sweet Tea vodka adds an adult element to this classic beverage, but is not necessary.
Summer Sweet Tea Cocktail with Lemon
- 1 gallon water
- 14 Lipton black tea bags
- 1.25 cups white granulated sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Juice from 4 lemons
- 16 oz Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka
- 1 lemon (cut into slices, for serving)
- Bring ½ gallon of water to a boil on the stove.
- Insert tea bags and stir in sugar until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add baking soda and stir until dissolved.
- When the tea bags have steeped for 5 minutes, remove tea bags.
- Avoid squeezing out the tea bags at this stage.
- Add in the remaining ½ gallon of cold water, plus the lemon juice and the sweet tea vodka.
- Chill in the fridge overnight or until the mixture is completely cold.
- Serve in tall glasses over ice, garnished with a fresh slice of lemon.
If you prefer a sweeter or stronger sweet tea, adjust according to personal preference.
The tiny amount of baking soda used in this recipe can help counteract some of the bitterness coming from the tannins in the tea while you drink it.