It’s time for some chicken sandwich magic. This spicy chicken recipe packs a punch, and it’s juicy through and through. One tip to save time is preparing your fillings while the chicken smokes to temperature. Use apple smoking wood to round out the flavor profile.
One unique ingredient in this recipe is spatchcock chicken. If you never heard of it, the spatchcock chicken has the backbone removed. This allows the chicken to lay flat and cook far more evenly. It also cooks faster! And because there’s so much surface of the chicken exposed, the flavor is astronomical.
Special tools: Meat Injector
Spicy Summer Chicken Sandwich
- 1 Spatchcock chicken
- Fajita seasoning
- Crusty french bread
- Roasted peppers (hot or sweet, your choice)
- Sliced red or white onions
- Chunky Salsa
- Hot sauce
- Preheat the smoker to 225 F.
- Inject the chicken in every part possible with guacamole.
- Whatever guacamole is left over, rub it into the top of the chicken.
- Sprinkle the fajita spices evenly over the chicken’s surface.
- Smoke until the interior temperature of the chicken breast is 150 F.
- Increase your smoker’s temperature to 500 F. This ensures skin with that oh-so-satisfying crunch.
- Once the skin crunches up, remove the chicken and let it cool.
- Thinly slice the chicken.
- Squeeze lime juice into a small bowl, and mix it with cilantro, salsa, and onions.
- Put the chicken on the bread, followed by the cilantro mix, and a splash of hot sauce. It’s all set!