It seems like everyone is rushing these days. Children leave while the sun is barely up and sometimes oversleep. You’re trying to head out the door to work. Yet, breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and making breakfasts smoothies may solve your morning time crunch (they’re break-FASTS).
The key to making healthy smoothies is looking at superfoods and spices. You can use whatever fruit you prefer in this, as well as a variety of base liquids. And, if you have some covered containers, you can make them the night before, grab, and go!
If you look at this recipe, you will see there’s a fruit or vegetable option, a liquid option, spice options, and yogurt. Some powerhouse fruits include blueberries, strawberries, lemon, banana, and peach. Blueberries are packed with antioxidants, strawberries provide Vitamin C, banana has potassium, lemon cleanses, and peach is also an antioxidant with high levels of vitamins.
For vegetables, think spinach. It is one of the best foods in the world for well-being. Cucumber detoxifies. For spices? Ginger supports your immune system and helps digestion. Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties. Chia (or flax seeds) have high amounts of Omega-3s. So, now you have options.
This recipe is a pick-n-go. Decide what combination you want based on your tastes.
Breakfast Smoothies Your Way
- 1 cup fruit or vegetables
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla (or other flavorings)
- 1/2 teaspoon herbs or spices (adjusted to taste)
- 1/2 cup liquid (nonfat milk, juice, coconut water, etc)
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt (flavored if you like)
- Prepare the fruits and vegetables (cleaning, peeling, and chopping).
- Place them into a food processor or blender.
- Add the spices, herbs, liquid, and yogurt.
- Blend until smooth.
- Enjoy it immediately or put it in the refrigerator for themorning or for any time snacking.