When you’re tired of classic snack trays with olives, crackers, and pepperoni, this cucumber onion pickle recipe offers you a great change of pace. Perhaps you remember this from childhood at a picnic. The good news is, you can’t get an easier recipe, let alone one that takes only minutes to prepare. It’s crispy, light, and incredibly refreshing.
A cucumber dish pairs well with a lot of summer offerings. Serve it as a side to grilled chicken, pulled pork sandwiches, kebabs, hanger steak, or halibut, for example. You can get creative with this recipe too. Toss in grape tomatoes, chichi beans, or give it a southern flair by adding mayonnaise. Try to buy English cucumbers. They offer sweetness and greater firmness.
Old Fashioned Cucumber-Onion Pickles
- 2 English cucumber (or 4-5 baby cucumber)
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons fresh dill
- 1 tablespoons celery seeds
- 1 tablespoons mustard seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the cucumbers.
- Slice into thin pieces.
- Peel and slice onion, likewise thin.
- Put everything into a large mixing bowl and toss.
- Place a plate on top of the mixture to keep it covered.
- Marinate the pickles overnight in the refrigerator.
- Stir, adding salt & pepper to taste.