Penne Alla Vodka
Penne alla Vodka is a luscious Italian pasta dish that effortlessly combines the richness of cream with the tantalizing kick of vodka-infused tomato sauce. This culinary creation marries perfectly al dente penne pasta with a velvety, tomato-based sauce that's been elevated to an entirely new level of decadence with the addition of heavy cream and a splash of vodka. The result is a creamy, slightly tangy, and delightfully indulgent dish that's sure to captivate your taste buds. Penne alla Vodka is the epitome of comfort food with a touch of sophistication, making it a beloved favorite on both weeknight dinner tables and special occasions alike.
- 12 ounces penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Crushed red pepper flakes (optional, for heat)
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the penne pasta and cook it according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain the pasta and set it aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the finely chopped onion and cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until it becomes translucent. Stir in the minced garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Pour in the vodka and stir well. Allow it to simmer for about 3-4 minutes, or until the vodka reduces by half.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, and bring the mixture to a gentle simmer. Allow it to cook for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Reduce the heat to low and pour in the heavy cream, stirring to combine. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes, allowing the sauce to thicken and meld flavors.
- Stir in the grated Parmesan cheese until it's fully melted and the sauce is creamy. Season with salt, freshly ground black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes if you like a bit of heat. Adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Add the cooked penne pasta to the sauce in the skillet. Toss the pasta in the creamy vodka sauce until it's well coated.
- Plate the Penne alla Vodka, garnish with fresh basil leaves if desired, and serve immediately. Optionally, sprinkle some extra grated Parmesan on top before serving.