Chicken legs are an inexpensive option for lunch and dinner recipes. For a few dollars, you can whip up a sticky-crisp offering filled with a smoky taste. The lush aroma is sure to make your neighbors stick out their heads to see where it’s coming from.
This recipe is simple, yet complex in flavor. Use fruity mocking wood like cherry and apple to match the palate of the whole dish. Always make more than you think you need. People gobble these up!
PS: Don’t be afraid to change your spices or sauce. So doing gives you a lot of options in terms of your final presentation.
Savory-Sweet Smoked Chicken Legs
- 1/4 cup can sugar
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 pounds chicken legs (serves two, with some leftovers)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- barbecue rub
- barbecue sauce
- Stir all the rub spices together. Put them in an airtight container. Give them a good shake before using.
- Start your smoker, heating it to 275 F.
- Put the chicken legs in a bowl, and pour the olive oil on top.
- Mix the chicken so it’s lightly covered on all sides.
- Dust the chicken legs with the barbecue rub.
- Place the legs on the smoker.
- Close the lid and cook until the legs reach 170 F (about 60-90 minutes).
- Using a pastry brush, cover the legs in barbecue sauce
- Close the lid again and grill for another 10 minutes.
- Remove, and allow the legs to rest before serving - 10 minutes
- If you need to store them, you can keep the chicken legs in your refrigerator, wrapped in plastic, for three days.